When we start our education, we all must do our homework. It’s an unfortunate but necessary element that makes sure we absorb knowledge and learn how to use and synthesise it properly. Let’s define assignment first for its better understanding. It’s a type of a task given to students by their teachers or professors, so they could complete it at home and show what they’ve learned and how well they can implement this knowledge.
What is assignment on a deeper level, though? Without doubt, it’s a defining characteristic of grade and future prospects. For example, if students would like to get into college as prestigious as Oxford or Cambridge, they should do assignments on the highest quality level. Thinking about employment in Lloyds Bank? Of course, it might seem far-fetched right now, but in reality, each grade contributes to overall success. That’s why submitting quality assignments is so important.
Purpose of Assignment
We have provided assignment definition, so it’s time to understand the specifics of its purpose. What does assignment mean? Why do students do them? As we’ve already said, such tasks help in solidifying obtained knowledge. It’s great when one listens to everything in class and remember major facts, but soon enough, it’s likely that only some basic info will stay in memory. Avoid it only by gaining practical understanding of a topic, and there is no better way to do it but research the discussed materials on a deeper level when completing assignment. For example, everyone has listened to historical account of London’s condition during WW2. Soon, many relevant details will fade, but if you research this topic yourself when writing an essay dedicated to a specific element of London’s WW2 state, everything will stay in your memory for years to come.
Another assignment meaning lies in the fact that it stimulates critical thinking skills. During lessons, student is mostly an observer or at best, a careful participant. When doing assignment at home, though, there are numerous resources at one's disposal. Seek some online assignment help to receive advice and handy tips. Research all possible sources before coming up with idea that you’d like to explore — or defend, if a topic has already been given. In assignments, which are often essays, you seek to defend a certain position, and in doing so, develop persuasiveness as well as research skills. They’ll be essential for all your future endeavours.
What Assignments Typically Include
Before wondering how to write an assignment, you should realise everything it entails. There are usually five main details you’re bound to encounter when being given a task. Keep in mind that they are extremely helpful for successful assignment completion.
- Overview. Professor will undoubtedly provide class with brief discussion on the task that you’re going to receive. What is assignment that’ll be given? What should be explored? Is it a group task or an individual one? Such details will be clarified on this stage.
- Prompt task. Next is description of specific task you’ll be writing. Professor gives you a topic or presents a list of possible themes from which you may choose. So, topic is provided and final goal of writing is explained.
- Additional materials. This usually includes list of sources. In most cases, one should be responsible for finding some while also utilizing specifically assigned by professor. This helps learning to integrate different resources. Also, you might prepare additional things, like mini-presentation that’ll be accompanying the assignment itself. It may up your grade a bit. Even if no additional materials are required, clarify it with your teacher. Being over-prepared is always better than having nothing to show!
- Style tips. Every college and uni assignment must follow certain style requirements. First, there are rules of academic writing that should be followed. They include such things as avoiding first as well as second person pronouns, contractions, and staying formal. There are also many academic formatting styles, such as MLA, APA, Harvard, Chicago, etc. Usually professor is the one who chooses in which format essay should be written. Check template where formatting style sample is provided. Look at headings, title page (or its absence), list of references/works cited list, titles’ formatting, running heads, citation system, and so on. Any mistake may lower your grade, so be attentive to both types of styles, academic and formatting ones.
- Technical details. This is the last element you should be told. It explains how many pages will be written, what’s acceptable deviation from word count, when the final deadline is, and what’s the oldest sources that can be utilized (in most cases, only fresh sources are utilised, such as those created within the last 5-7 years).
Read also: How to conclude your assignment?
Assignment-Related Words You Should Know
What is assignment in the sense of processes you’re likely to follow? Check crucial definitions below. They explain what most tasks usually entail:
- Analyse: regard issue/concept from all perspectives, dividing it into parts and providing factually based explanation for each one, establishing connections and outcomes in the process.
- Summarise: retell what you have read or seen in your own words. Pick only most important bits, without paying attention to the smallest insignificant details.
- Evaluate: assess from all sides before deciding whether it corresponds to certain criteria (for example, whether something’s effective, dangerous, promising, etc.).
- Describe: present overview.
- Compare: take at least two objects and show what differences as well as similarities they have.
- Research: study background, meaning, as well as implication of something by applying credible sources.
- Relate: establish connection between at least two different objects or concepts, showing how they are connected.
- Apply: apply a certain concept or theory and connect it to some object, studying the latter through the prism of the former.
- Illustrate: prove a point by pointing out detailed examples.
- Trace: study history of event.
- Identify: determine what object is causing and provide explanation as to how it does it.
- Comment: provide your own opinion on something.
- Consider: ponder over and present its analysis even if idea isn’t something you personally believe in/enjoy.
- Define: point out what some object means.
- Interpret: provide individual explanation for something that might differ from commonly accepted one. Support your words textually.
Instructions Not Followed
What is assignment failure? Every student is definitely worried about their grade because too much depends on it. If you avoid it and achieve success, you should know everything that results in a failing grade. Check major issues below.
- Paper from another class is recycled. You might get similar tasks for different subjects but don’t let it tempt you. Assignment copying is detected instantly and you’ll get failing grade for both subjects.
- Plagiarism. If you borrow other people’s ideas or worse, copy some sentences or passages directly without citing anything, consequences may be severe. You might even be expelled, so double-check if every idea that didn’t come from you is referenced properly.
- No format. In higher educational establishments, you can’t use plain Word-text combination. Unless you add title page, running head, footnotes, etc. in accordance with style specified by instructions, your grade may be lowered considerably.
- No thesis. This is a common mistake among students. Thesis is essential, so unless you devise it, your paper may be weak, lacking direction. Naturally, it’ll get a low grade.
- No structure. Remember that every assignment must have proper structure, along with readable paragraphs, proper opening and closing sentences, etc. Ideas must flow smoothly, with logical transitions built between them.
- Task requirements are not met. This is also a common issue. Ensure you understand instructions perfectly before you start working. Check samples if you have doubts or contact your professor.
Contact EduBirdie If You Want the Best Grade
Even when you are no longer wondering, “What is an assignment?”, there is a question of its completion. When you need only best grades or lack time or energy for quality work, you can always find help at EduBirdie. We provide all kinds of services, starting from statistics assignment help to more complex projects, such as HND assignment help. Our writers have all received higher form of education, which we’ve verified thoroughly, and each of them is an experienced professional in their sphere. Contact us and tell us what you want. We’ll make sure to deliver a flawless assignment to you!